How a Pedestrian Accidents Lawyer Can Help Recover Damages for Your Injury
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 4,000 pedestrians die every year in auto accidents in the United States. While traveling by foot is unquestionably a healthy alternative to driving, caution should always be at the forefront of a pedestrian's mind. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident due to negligence on the part of a motorist, the pedestrian accident lawyers at Wenholz | Dow, P.C., Trial Lawyers in Austin, TX, will provide compassionate legal representation and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Overview of Pedestrian Accidents
The term pedestrian accident is used to refer to any motor vehicle accident involving a pedestrian. When approached by a fast-moving car, truck, bus, or motorcycle, pedestrians are particularly vulnerable since there is nothing to protect them. Often, pedestrian accidents result in broken bones, traumatic brain injury (TBI), spinal cord injury, amputation or loss of function in limbs, scarring and disfigurement, paralysis, and even death.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
There are times when the pedestrian is at fault, but drivers are often to blame when they drive carelessly or recklessly. Cars weigh thousands of pounds. Therefore, drivers must be especially cautious and conscientious when operating them. Failure to do so can turn a car into a dangerous weapon, leading to catastrophic injuries and death for victims.
The driver may be at fault when they:
- Speed excessively or drive recklessly
- Disregard a stop light, stop sign, crosswalk, yield sign, or other traffic alert
- Fail to yield the right of way while turning into a crosswalk
- Drive while distracted (e.g. using their cellphone)
- Reverse without looking
- Neglect to stop behind a school bus with flashing red lights
- Drive on the shoulder or sidewalk
- Drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol
The pedestrian may be at fault when they:
- Cross on a “don’t walk” sign
- Walk outside of the crosswalk
- Are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
How a Pedestrian Accidents Lawyer Can Help
The driver is not automatically at fault in a pedestrian accident. In fact, there are a number of scenarios in which the pedestrian may be at fault, such as jaywalking, intoxication, and walking outside of the crosswalk. However, drivers are often found to be liable for negligence.
Having a dependable pedestrian accidents lawyer with a track record of successfully pursuing compensation for clients is imperative.
As a victim in a pedestrian accident, you have the right to pursue financial compensation to cover your losses, including past and future medical expenses, lost income, diminished earning capacity, and pain and suffering. Having a dependable pedestrian accidents lawyer with a track record of successfully pursuing compensation for clients is imperative. One of our pedestrian accidents lawyers will:
- Offer an honest evaluation of your case
- Work to receive maximum compensation to cover your costs
- Protect your rights
- Explain the law clearly to you
- Investigate your case thoroughly to determine who is at fault
- Treat you with compassion and respect