Do I Need a Lawyer after a Car Accident?
Following a car accident, victims are often left shaken, distraught, and uncertain about what to do next. Of all the questions that arise in the moments and weeks following an accident, one of the most common is: do I need a lawyer after a car accident? In many cases, the answer is yes. The team at Wenholz | Dow, P.C., Trial Lawyers in Austin, TX, has been practicing for decades, guiding victims through all aspects of the legal process and garnering significant settlements. If you have sustained injuries after a car accident, contact us today to schedule a free consultation. We can provide instructions on what to do and your next steps.
When to Contact an Attorney
Minor car accident claims can often be settled without the help of lawyers, if it is clear who is at fault. Fender benders and other minor collisions that do not cause injury, death, or extensive property damage can be handled between the drivers and their insurance providers. However, more serious car accidents that result in substantial losses should be managed by a qualified attorney to ensure you receive the full damages you are entitled to.
It is strongly advisable to seek legal representation after an accident where:
- You or another person were injured
- A person lost their life
- Who is at-fault is not clear or is being contested
- The other driver was operating the vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- There is uninsured or underinsured driver involved
- You have extenuating circumstances that increase the value of your claim
- You have questions about evaluating a claim or settlement offer
- You have been served with a lawsuit
We can review the details of your case in order to determine the best course of action.
The Importance of Legal Representation
Victims who proceed without an attorney may be presented with an insufficient settlement amount. If an insurance adjuster offers you a settlement that is lower than what you believe you are due, or offers you a structured settlement, rather than a lump sum payment, your injuries may be purposefully undervalued. In such circumstances, it is imperative to work with an attorney to ensure maximum compensation.
The team at Wenholz | Dow, P.C., Trial Lawyers has been practicing for decades, guiding victims through all aspects of the legal process and garnering significant settlements.
You should entrust your case to professional counsel if an insurance adjuster asks for your medical records prior to the accident, requests that you sign a document or make a statement. These tactics can be used against a victim to decrease their compensation.
How Our Team Can Help
Our car accident attorneys not only has a solid base of knowledge in tort law and vehicle codes, but also has the resources to take on large insurance companies and corporate entities. A respected car accident attorney on our team can help:
- Protect you from the other party’s insurance company
- Seek damages for injury or wrongful death caused by another driver’s negligence
- Review insurance policies to determine coverage
- Assess the maximum valuation of a claim, taking into account past and future losses
- Provide sound legal counsel regarding settlements
- Negotiate before trial for advantageous settlements to avoid the courtroom
- Fight for maximum damages at trial
- Dispute unfavorable decisions for uninsured or underinsured drivers
- Review documentation and facts surrounding the accident to determine fault
- Relieve you of proving your own case so you can focus on healing
When you choose our firm, you are in good hands. Our team is known for treating clientele with compassion and communicating effectively and clearly throughout legal proceedings.